Email has been around since the dawn of the Internet. Mailing lists have been the go-to tool for marketers for decades – surviving all other social platforms.
But a few years ago, something happened. Email went from just “being” to booming. Smart founders are building mailing lists of tens of thousands. Driven entrepreneurs are earning millions from their newsletters alone.
Newsletter is the new black.
In The Newsletter Secret, I analyze the tactics of the most successful newsletter creators, to see what they did – and how you can “steal” it for your own newsletter. And I’ll share the entire process with you, if you feel like joining.
Here’s the first draft of the contents, in no particular order. What did I miss? What has to be included in this book? Who should I interview? You’ll find a message box at the bottom of this page – get in touch and help me write the new Book on Newsletters.
Ps. Thank you Arvid and KP for inspiring me to write this in public!
(Each chapter will feature a real-life case study featuring a successful newsletter and its creator.)
Phase 1: Your goals and niche
- Defining your own goal – Why do you want a mailing list?
- Finding and defining a Profitable Niche – why smaller is always better.
- Validating your idea (weeding the valuable ones from the trash)
- How to create an opt-in page that works.
Phase 2: Creating Content That Works
- How to structure your newsletter for your readers.
- Welcome sequence – why and how?
- Processes for creating and sending every week.
- Finding and organizing content topics and ideas (tools and processes).
- Value per Pixel – How do you deliver insane amounts of value in few words?
- The magic of storytelling in newsletters.
Phase 3: Growing your Newsletter
- Tactics for super-efficient growth.
- Using viral content loops to create momentum.
- How to get people to share your newsletter (and why you need to do it.)
- Social media for growth (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, TikTok?)
- The right ways to share content on Indiehackers, Hackernews etc.
- Blog posts, podcasts, Youtube – long-form content platforms.
- Launching your newsletter successfully on Product Hunt.
Phase 4: Making Money
- EVERY way to earn money on your newsletter (almost :))
- Finding and attracting advertisers.
- Selling products through your newsletter.
- Introducing a paid newsletter option.
- Building and running a community.
- What is affiliate marketing and how do you do it?
- Selling courses, ebooks, and consulting.
- Crowdfunding – BuyMeACoffee, Patreon etc.
- Exiting – How to sell your entire newsletter.
Arvid Kahl – The Bootstrapped Founder
Anne-Laure Le Cunff – Ness Labs
Mario Gabriele – The Generalist